Adrenal Fatigue - Largo, FL
What is adrenal fatigue?
Adrenal fatigue is a term used in functional medicine that describes a collection of signs and symptoms that include fatigue, body aches, and digestive problems.
What are the symptoms of adrenal fatigue?
Some common symptoms of adrenal fatigue include the following:
- Body aches
- Digestive problems often leading to weight loss
- Sleep disturbances
- Low blood pressure
- Low sex drive
- Cravings for sweet or salty snacks
What causes adrenal fatigue?
The adrenal glands sit on top of your kidneys and produce a variety of very important hormones, such as cortisol, the "stress" hormone that helps regulate your immune system, blood sugar, and metabolism. When experiencing chronic bouts of prolonged stress, the adrenal glands will continue to make cortisol at the expense of the other hormones (estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone). This can lead to adrenal fatigue.
What issues can arise when experiencing adrenal fatigue?
Adrenal fatigue can result in imbalances in your fluid and electrolyte balance; heart and cardiovascular system; and carbohydrate, fat, and protein metabolism.
In worst-case scenarios, adrenal fatigue can render you so tired you will find it difficult to get up for more than a few hours a day.
How can adrenal fatigue be treated?
Our doctors can create a treatment plan to best address your specific case of adrenal fatigue. It may involve the following:
- A saliva test to help diagnose your adrenal stress index
- Cortisol samples to evaluate your body's response to stress
- A nutritional plan involving vitamins, minerals, and herbs to help build up your body's energy
- A customized plan to rebuild your adrenal glands and protect them from daily stressors